Largo and Plugin FAQs
Effective July 31, 2020, INN will no longer be developing new open-source technology projects or maintaining existing code repositories. This includes the Largo WordPress theme, all WordPress plugins, and tools.
Please note that these projects, as of publishing this, are still stable, usable, and useful in their current states unless otherwise noted in their GitHub documentation. As such, they will remain available to the public as “archived” but available projects. We encourage the open source community to continue development of these projects or to incorporate the code into new projects.
Organizations or individuals interested in a project handoff for official ongoing maintenance of these products can contact email@example.com. More information can be found in the FAQs below, which will be updated as additional inquiries are received.
For Current Users
What will happen to my Largo site or INN plugins?
- Your site and plugins are not going anywhere. Sites using Largo as child themes retain all rights to use open-source Largo-derived code and the custom implementations of templates, functionality, and style that you’ve built on top of this code as your “child theme.”
- You will be able to continue to use INN plugins for as long as they are compatible with your version of WordPress and overall technology stack.
- As we will not be developing new features to the Largo open-source WordPress theme, we recommend that you work with someone to keep your version of WordPress core and plugins up to date. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for best practices and steps to keep your site updated or for referrals to partners for ongoing site maintenance.
What if I have questions about how to use or customize Largo?
- You can find much of that information at support.inn.org, GitHub, or by contacting email@example.com. We can also connect you with skilled WordPress developers for customization or ongoing maintenance for existing sites and we’re happy to help those partners onboard to Largo.
What alternatives to the Largo WordPress theme should I consider?
- There are also many WordPress themes that are Gutenberg-first that can be customized with your newsroom and readers’ needs in mind, especially when combined with plugin functionality for publishers. We recommend working with a local development agency or one that specializes in news development. Please contact INN to discuss options and referral agencies at no charge.
- We recommend reviewing Gutenberg-first news themes like Benenson.co or a news theme like Newspaper to see if it will be a good fit for your organization. The agency you choose to work with will also have recommended themes.
Is Largo secure?
- As of July 31, 2020 there are no known vulnerabilities found to affect the latest version of Largo (0.6.4) per WPScan which is sponsored by Automattic, the makers of WordPress.
- As time passes, security levels can change for any WordPress theme, so we recommend using WPScan on a regular basis to ensure your site is secure. This will also ensure you are getting the latest security information on any plugins or custom code for your specific site, regardless of Largo’s status.
We encourage all who are interested to visit the repositories below and fork any code you would like to continue development on:
The GitHub repositories for our projects can be found here:
- Super Cool Ad Inserter Plugin
- Pym.js Embeds
- Republication Tracker Tool
- Link Roundups
- Storytelling Tools
- Google Analytics Popular Posts
- Full list of code is available here: https://github.com/INN
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or for more information.